Thursday, March 23, 2017

Calorie KILLLAAA

Calorie Killer is where it is at. Seriously, best class so far! It seems to get better and better each week during this fitness experience, or should I say lifestyle? Although last week I had to deal with a bear of a workout, a killer workout was somehow even more enjoyable. What more could you want than some well timed burpees and a shoulder workout that makes your arms quiver?

Courtesy of PicMonkey
This is one class you need to be a little early for. I was admittedly only two minutes early (wow that is basically late) and was almost the last one there. I had to scramble to get the weights and mats. As you have witnessed my weekly struggle of choosing hand weights, this is a class where you can up it a little. For me that means two pounds. Next week I am planning on three pounds, I know I know, big gains over here! Some girls around me may or may not have had ten pound weights.


Credit
After this, you line up and start the warm up which consisted of a lot of jumping jacks. (Throwback to elementary school gym, am I right?) It is an interval workout starting with one minute of cardio and one minute of strength, followed by two minutes of strength and two minutes of cardio, all the way up to five minutes of strength and 5 minutes of strength at the max point. After working out up the hill in time, the rest in down hill decreasing in minutes.



Credit
 One interesting point to make about this workout it that it is one full hour. Not 45 minutes like all the other classes I have taken thus far. Those 15 minutes make quite the difference. My roommate warned me that half way through the class I would be already dead. At minute 29, my muscles confirmed her warning. I got to the half way point and I couldn't believe you only halfway done. Maybe it's a glass half full/half empty type of thing. I probably should have been thrilled that I was halfway done...positve thoughts only from here on out!

Another thought, there's is something strange about watching yourself workout. In this class there are mirrors covering all walls, and the way the class is set up, you have an unobstructed view of yourself the entire time. Making eye contact with my failing body was a unsettling experience. My face saying "what the heck are you doing to me" combined with your muscles screaming "help me, why are you killing me?" It makes one question their own sanity. Deep thoughts within Calorie KILLLA.... man deep thoughts.

 All strange thoughts aside, one great thing about this class is that it will work for all levels. The teacher presents three options for every cardio activity and weight exercise. As a participant, choosing what works for you in the moment makes it much more enjoyable. If a cardio set was too easy, I would bump up to the next level. If my heart rate started to skyrocket and I felt like I was on the verge of a heart attack I brought it down to the easier option. What I love so much about this is that it makes it "your workout," personal to you, and something that can evolve as you become more or less in shape. I would definitely recommend this workout! Let me know if you have every tried Calorie Killer! Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. I am not a huge fan of the classes but this one seems worthwhile to try. I like how you desrcibe it as personal, and as always, you witty and light-hearted rhetoric is enjoyable to read. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calorie Killer is one of my favorite classes too! It definitely does kill you, and something I realy have trouble getting through the whole hour both physically and mentally, so positivity is definitely helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to try calorie killer! And I always try to find the one part of the room that doesn't force me to stare myself down in the mirror, so I completely understand the struggle of not having that option!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't usually do these types of workouts, but your post reminded me of when I did crossfit. Sheesh that was rough. Calorie killa defienitly seems similar in that you're just smoked after only a few minutes! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this would definitely be a huge difference from the yoga and pilates classes I normally go to! It sounds like a really good workout though, might have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete