Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Yoga or Nap Time?

The freshmen experience is one of many firsts. Navigating the struggle between unlimited cookies in West Dining Hall and the 300 pound muscle men ferociously guarding the weights at the gym is one first I did not anticipate. It is easiest to chose the path of least resistance, the tasty sweet over the glaring eyes of hulk's twin. But let's be real, I am not trying to have high cholesterol at the tender young age of 19.

Compliments of PicMonkey
This blog serves as a guide to fitness for the freshmen. Watch me try and possibly fail a new fitness class every week with the goal of desensitizing myself from the irrational fear of giant men. Some classes are self explanatory like yoga and cycling, so I will give you my review. Others have strange ominous names like H.I.L.T. and Boot Camp Tabata, so I will go in blind, prepared for anything, and blog about the aftermath. Finally, I will sacrifice myself, my spirit, and my health to try classes like Total Muscle Challenge so that we can laugh about it together afterward as a tend to my wounded pride (and body).

Credit 
This week I went to Vinyasa yoga. You probably recognize the word yoga and assume, meditation and relaxation, but the word Vinyasa is key. A major key. Vinyasa yoga is a special kind of workout yoga.  (A fitness yoga) (aka. it's actually difficult)

I shuffled to the back of the class, because as a rookie, I was trying to preserve my pride and hide my lack of yoga ability. I learned something in this moment. You can't hide because the room has every square inch covered in mirrors. I accepted my fate of embarrassment.

We all sat waiting for the class to begin. The teacher, the epitome of zen, sat at the front. She instructed us to "dance with our breath" as tango music filled the packed room. When she said dance with your breath, I glanced around and everyone's eyes were closed so I just continued to breathe. If anyone knows how to dance with your breath, please let me know. It would be very appreciated.

The class lasted and hour and we did many yoga poses, that were modified for all levels, so I and the other newbies could follow along. I am now enlightened in the art of the pigeon and Warrior 2 position. (Yay for learning!)

Credit
The class ends with a 10 minute period of mediation and relaxation laying on your back, my favorite part (see pic on right). It's called Shavasana. (If you want to know how to say this glorious word, click here) Honestly, shavasana gave me a moment to reflect on my life, the choices I make everyday, and the fact that I was laying on the floor in a dark room with 30 other people. After Shavasana, the class ends. Beware though, my friend fell asleep during this period of relaxation, and continued to lay flat on her back as everyone filed out. The teacher may have thought she died for a moment, but we would definitely go back.

I recommend yoga classes to anyone who wants to do a workout involving stretching and strength. Being a beginner is not an issue, and no one will judge you when you fall out of your pigeon pose. (Trust me, I know from experience) Let me know if you have ever tried yoga before and how you feel about the men turned guard dogs at the weight racks! Thanks for reading!

If interested, here is the link to the schedule of fitness classes at PSU!


4 comments:

  1. I love the fitness classes! I go to yogalates on Wednesdays (If you ever want to join)! It sounds similar to this one, though I've never gone to Vinyasa. But yogalates is the same kind of strength and relaxation type of class! I've also done Butts & Guts and Weashboard abs. But I'm excited to hear what you have to say about the more intimidating classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you write is so captivating and witty, and I cannot wait to hear the details of your expirences each week! Falling asleep during shavasana is more than okay, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really funny. I like how you embrace your newness to the gym! (I can see how the gyms here can be intimidating because they're ALWAYS PACKED). I've heard about some of these classes, but I never really found out about what happpens inside of them. I'm excited to hear about more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your blog post! I felt like I was in the class with you for a second. Trying new things for me as a runner is kind of hard because all I do is run because I love it. After hearing your experience it makes me want to branch out and try a yoga or two. I think your post will be very helpful to alot of people who need some type of new workout. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete